Saturday, 10 January 2015

10/01/15: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (North London Hospice)

North London Hospice shop, North Finchley. Thought this brick was a bargain at £1.50. However, as a "test" I decided I would only buy the book if it was comprehensive enough to include Her Lover (Belle du Seigneur) by Albert Cohen, which I am enjoying immensely. It passed the test. Despite that, I'm not sure I agree with all the choices (why no Richard Ford?) and I was dismayed to find an error straight away (Anthony Burgess wrote four Enderby novels, not three). But it's a handy reference book, all the same. Re: the title, that "must" seems way too pushy. What happens if you DON'T read these books? As for reading them "before you die", you can hardly read them afterwards, can you?
The shop is currently missing its frontage and not looking its best. It is, however, perhaps my favourite of all north London charity shops – well stocked and expertly run.

No comments:

Post a Comment